Saturday, July 20, 2024

Eastern District of Michigan Court Locations and Hours

Court Hours

The Court shall be in continuous session for transacting judicial business on all business days throughout the year.

Although a District Court is deemed "always open" for the purpose of filing any pleading, see Fed. R. Civ. P. 77(a), the Clerk's Office is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday (except Federal Holidays). There is a Clerk's Office at the Detroit, Flint and Bay City locations. The Electronic Case Filing (ECF) system is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

Federal Holidays

New Year's Day January 1 (*)
Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. Third Monday in January
Presidents' Day Third Monday in February
Memorial Day Last Monday in May
Juneteenth June 19th (*)
Independence Day July 4 (*)
Labor Day First Monday in September
Columbus Day Second Monday in October
Veterans Day November 11 (*)
Thanksgiving Day Fourth Thursday in November
Christmas Day December 25 (*)

(*) If the federal holiday falls on a Saturday, it is observed on Friday. If it falls on a Sunday, it is observed on Monday. When a determination has been made that the Court and the Clerk's Office will be closed on a specific weekday, advance notice will be given to the media and the public. In situations where advance notice is not possible, information will be provided as soon as is practicable.

Non-Business Hours Emergency Filing Procedure

During non-business hours, a person filing a motion, petition, request or application electronically that requires the immediate attention of a judicial officer, must file the document in CM/ECF. After filing the document in CM/ECF, parties seeking judicial review should call the United States Marshals Service Control Center at 313-202-6458.

Parties must provide Control Center personnel with the following information: Case number; name of the assigned judge; title of the document filed; document number and telephone number where they can be reached. Control Center personnel will contact the appropriate Court staff.

Only call the Control Center if you have filed a document that needs judicial review.

Directions and Parking