The U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan has jurisdiction over federal cases, criminal and civil, in Michigan’s eastern Lower Peninsula. The current Detroit courthouse is a classic example of 1934 Art Deco and Art Moderne architecture with domed ceilings, intricate hand-painting, marble flooring, and historic bronze accents. The seven original courtrooms are still in use, including the exotic “Million Dollar Courtroom”, featuring 30 species of marble and a bench carved from East Indian mahogany. It was saved from demolition of the old 1890 federal building and painstakingly reassembled on the seventh floor of the new building. Courthouses also serve Ann Arbor, Flint, Port Huron, and Bay City. All are open to the public; tours on request.
Frequently Asked Questions
Other Court Links
1/17/2018 9:35 AM
Due to the North American International Auto Show and Meridian Winter Blast Presented by Quicken Loans expect road closures, heavy traffic and potential delays downtown and in the surrounding areas especially around Cobo Center from Saturday, January 13, 2018 through Sunday, January 28, 2018. Please plan your commute accordingly.
1/3/2018 8:23 AM
A memorial service in remembrance of the late retired U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 6, at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul. The church is located at 4800 Woodward Ave., Detroit.
12/12/2017 9:21 AM