Home Judicial Officers Rules, Plans, and Orders Electronic Filing Clerk's Office Visiting the Court Information For Careers

About Us

The United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan is the federal district court with jurisdiction over the eastern portion of the State of Michigan. It was established by an act of Congress on December 23, 1863, when the District of Michigan was split into two judicial districts - the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. The Eastern District's headquarters is Detroit, with divisional offices in Ann Arbor, Bay City, Flint, and Port Huron.

The Court is authorized 15 judgeships and 7 magistrate judges. The number of authorized judgeships does not include senior district judges, who contribute significantly to the work of the Court.

There are 94 federal judicial districts in the federal court system. With its 15 authorized judgeships, the Eastern District of Michigan is included in the 10 largest courts.


Home -- About Us